MRSA Personal Injury Claims Glasgow, Edinburgh and Dundee
MRSA (methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus) is a type of bacteria that is resistant to several widely used antibiotics. This means infections with MRSA can be harder to treat than other bacterial infections.
Our solicitors have exceptional experience in helping clients make successful personal injury claims related to MRSA, and can help you claim the compensation you are entitled to. We understand that you may still be recovering physically, emotionally and financially so we aim to make the process as straightforward as possible for you. To discuss your specific circumstances with a member of our specialist medical negligence team, contact us today by calling 0800 988 8082 or complete our online enquiry form and we will get back to you right away.
MRSA infections mainly affect people who are staying in hospital, and it can also be contracted in nursing homes or health clinics.
The risk of contracting MRSA is usually highest where:
- there is a way for the bacteria to get into a patient’s body, such as a wound, burn, feeding tube, drip into a vein, or urinary catheter
- the patient suffers from other serious health problems, so their body is less able to fight off the bacteria
- patients are in close contact with a large number of people, making it easier for the bacteria to spread
Symptoms of MRSA
Having MRSA on your skin does not cause any symptoms and may only be evident through a screening test. However, if MRSA gets deeper into the skin it can cause redness, swelling, warmth, pain and pus.
If the MRSA infection gets further into your body, it can cause:
- high temperature of 38c or above
- aches and pains
Some members of the population carry MRSA with no ill effects. Generally, MRSA only becomes a problem when a person is admitted to hospital.
MRSA can usually be treated with antibiotics, but in some cases it cannot. In these cases, MRSA can develop into sepsis and consequently lead to serious injury or even death. Even if an infection is treated successfully you may still suffer lasting consequences.
Claiming compensation for MRSA infections
To successfully claim compensation for contracting MRSA, or any other superbug, in hospital, you must be able to prove:
- that the infection was contracted in the healthcare facility where you were resident
- that the treatment from the healthcare provider was below an acceptable standard
- that if the treatment had been an acceptable standard, you would not have contracted the infection
- that the negligence resulted in injury and loss
Our solicitors are experienced in making successful MRSA compensation claims. We can take you through all the steps required to prove these points, and will look after your best interests throughout the process.
Contact our MRSA compensation claims lawyers today
If you have contracted MRSA as a result of the negligence of a medical professional or healthcare facility, contact our specialist personal injury team today. The team is spread across our offices – Edinburgh, Glasgow and Dundee, with our Dundee team covering Aberdeen and the North of Scotland - making it easy and convenient to consult one of our experts. We will be happy to discuss your claim with you and will explain clearly and concisely how best to proceed. We will also be upfront about how likely your claim is to succeed, any costs involved and also whether we can offer to work on a no-win, no-fee basis.