Make an initial enquiry to see how we can help you

Please let us know your name.
Invalid Input
Please enter a valid phone number
Please let us know your email address.
Please let us know your message.

Accidents whilst Volunteering

If you have been injured in an accident that wasn’t your fault, contact our lawyers today to find out if you can make a claim.


No Win No Fee Available

Wherever possible, we aim to deal with claims on a "no-win, no-fee basis" which means that you are only liable for legal fees where we are successful in making your claim.

Volunteering Abroad Accident Claim Solicitors Glasgow, Edinburgh, Perth and Dundee  

If you intend to carry out voluntary or aid work overseas, then it is the responsibility of the charity or aid organisation employing you to take care of your safety whilst abroad. 

Where they have failed in this obligation, you could be entitled to compensation. Our specialist personal injury team have years of experience in helping people just like you make successful claims following an accident. We understand the impact your injuries may have had on your life, and that the thought of going through the claims process might seem daunting. Calio claims are here to help. To discuss your specific circumstances with one of our solicitors, call today on 0800 988 8082 or complete our online enquiry form and a member of our team will get back to you right way.   

If a charity or aid organisation fails to take reasonable measures to protect you while abroad then you may have a claim for compensation against them if you are injured as a result. You can claim for any failure to protect you and, if applicable, any negligence committed that led to you being injured, for example, if they provided you with unsafe equipment. 

It is possible that you may get injured because of the negligence of a fellow aid worker employed by the same organisation. In this scenario, the fellow worker may not be insured, but the aid organisation should be, and they would then step in and take liability for the colleague who had injured you. 

You may also be injured abroad in an accident unrelated to your voluntary work. If the accident is caused by the negligence of someone of the same nationality as you, then you may be able to sue them in your home Court, but if the accident is caused by a foreign national then to claim you may have to sue them in the country where the accident occurred. 

The charity or aid organisation should make sure they have a business travel policy in place, to insure you whilst travelling to and from your place of work overseas. This should cover any medical costs, repatriation, trip cancellation, baggage loss and personal accident. 

They have to make sure that where they are sending you is as safe as it can be, and this may involve liaising with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) to get their advice on the safety of the place you are to be working in. Voluntary organisations should also carry out a thorough risk assessment before sending you to work abroad – this will include an assessment of your safety, liaising with the government, providing immunisation where applicable and providing extra security if necessary. 

Charities should also plan for emergency situations such as sudden civil unrest or terrorism in the country you intend to work in. 

What about a criminal injury? 

If you are injured as a result of a crime or violence while carrying out aid work abroad then if the crime happens within an EU country you can apply to the EU Compensation Assistance team of the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA) in the UK, and they will help you claim compensation.  

If the crime happens in a country outside the EU then generally speaking the CICA cannot help, and you would have to apply directly to the country where the crime happened if they have a criminal injuries compensation system. 

If you are the victim of an act of terrorism abroad then in certain circumstances you can apply to the Victims of Overseas Terrorism Compensation Scheme which is funded by the UK Government. 

How do I claim for an accident whilst volunteering? 

In the immediate aftermath of an accident, it is important to gather as much evidence as possible that may strengthen your claim. Ideally, you will have clear photos of the scene of your accident. Witness evidence may be helpful, so make sure you have the names and contact details of anyone who saw what happened. 

Your accident should be reported to the appropriate person as soon as possible, and ideally, you will have inspected a copy of the accident report they prepared and agreed with the content. You should also seek medical attention as soon as possible and keep all documentation given to you by the hospital.  

On your return to the UK, contact a firm of solicitors experienced in dealing with personal injury claims in relation to accidents abroad. At Calio Claims, we have a specialist team dedicated to handling foreign claims.  

An accident that has occurred abroad may be subject to different laws depending on the country where the accident took place and the nationalities of the parties involved. The time bar limits for the country where the accident occurred may be shorter than in the UK. Under some circumstances, even if your accident happened abroad, you may still be able to pursue a claim through the Scottish Courts. 

Our lawyers are specialists in handling claims for accidents abroad, including those for injury whilst doing voluntary work, so get in touch today if you think you have a claim.  

Contact our accidents whilst volunteering claims lawyers Glasgow, Edinburgh, Perth and Dundee   

If you have suffered an injury whilst volunteering contact our specialist team today. Our lawyers are spread across our offices in Glasgow, Edinburgh, Perth and Dundee , with our Dundee team covering Aberdeen and the North of Scotland.  

We will discuss the circumstances surrounding your claim with you and will explain clearly and concisely how best to proceed. We will also be upfront about how likely your claim is to succeed, any costs involved, and also whether we can offer to work on a no-win, no-fee basis.  

To speak to a solicitor who can help you claim the compensation you deserve, call us now on 0800 988 8082 or complete our online enquiry form and a member of our team will get back to you right away.  


Please let us know your name.
Invalid Input
Please enter a valid phone number
Please let us know your email address.
Please let us know your message.

  • Ranked in Chambers 2023
  • The Legal 500 - Leading Firm 2023